There are some things that I look forward to all year – one of those things is fig season. Whether they are the Black Mission, Brown Turkey, or Tiger Stripe variety, I always make it a point to head to Trader Joe’s the last few weeks of August to stock up on the deliciousness. My absolute favorite fig is the Tiger Stripe both in appearance and flavor and so I chose to use them this time but any fresh fig will do. Enjoy!
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 2 medium beets
- 1 medium orange (I used cara cara because it is in season)
- 4-5 fresh figs
- 4-5 fresh mint leaves
- crumbled goat cheese
- 10-12 shelled lightly salted pistachios
- 2 tsp light oil (I used avocado oil)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat an oven to 350. Rinse beets thoroughly, cut ends, and wrap in tin foil. Bake beets for 45-60 min and check to see that they are cooked through. Allow to cool and then peel outer layer. Slice beets into wedges of desired thickness – I like to cut the beets the same thickness as the orange segments.
- Peel and segment the orange, cut segments in half.
- Rinse and quarter fresh figs.
- Shell and slice pistachios in half.
- Chiffonade mint leaves.
- To assemble salad: Place beets, oranges, figs on serving dish. Carefully drizzle oil over the beets/oranges/figs. Add crumbled goat cheese, mint, and pistachios. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.