I’m not vegan, but I watched “What the Health?” on Netflix and learned some interesting facts about where our food comes from and the politics of the food industry. I also have some dear friends who are vegan so I want to make sure I have recipes for when they come and visit!! These veggie burgers are nice because they stick together and don’t require any “binding” ingredients like eggs or breadcrumbs. It also doesn’t use any oil and all the flavor comes from the veggies and hot sauce! My mother in law introduced me to this recipe when our little guy was just a few weeks old and they freeze really well in wax paper/glass containers. I made a few little tweaks to the original she got from a vegan cookbook since I didn’t have some of the ingredients it called for but here it is. Enjoy!
Ingredients (8-10 servings)
- 1/2 large onion
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 5 oz shiitake mushrooms, diced
- 2 cups spinach / kale / greens of choice, cut into small pieces
- 1 medium sweet potato, cooked and mashed (no skin)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2 15-oz cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 Tbsp hot sauce (I like sriracha)
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- Burger buns
- Mustard / Ketchup / Tomato Slices / Avocado / Lettuce / Caramelized Onions / Kimchi / Pickles, etc.
- In a hot non-stick pan, cook onions and garlic stirring constantly until browned slightly.
- Reduce heat to medium and add mushrooms and greens and continue to stir. Kale takes a little longer to cook than spinach so cook accordingly.
- Once mushrooms are cooked through and greens are wilted/cooked, turn off the heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl mash the sweet potato, oats, kidney beans and sriracha sauce.
- Add cooked vegetables to the large bowl and mix all together.
- Form the mixture into patties (usually makes 10 small burger bun sized patties or 6-8 if you like them bigger).
- Place patties on nonstick pan over medium low heat for 10 minutes on one side (until browned and warmed through middle) and 10 minutes on the other. Serve with all the accoutrements you love!