This simple recipe is one my favorites for a brunch with 4-6 people. It’s prepped the night before and when baked it puffs up into this deliciously light and fluffy savory cloud. This recipe is from my mother-in-law who never fails to make the best brunches ever. You can always add cut up veggie/meat sausage if you want a little bit more protein or meaty flavor. My favorite is this one.
- 6 eggs slightly beaten
- 6 slices of bread cubed (remove any hard crusts)
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 cups milk (2% works well here, skim is ok)
- 4 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Saute mushrooms, onion, and green pepper in olive oil on medium for 4-5 minutes until onions are slightly translucent. Cool.
- Butter 9 x 9 or 13 x 9 pan.
- Put in bread, cheese, and cooled veggies.
- Beat eggs and milk. Add salt, pepper, and dry mustard.
- Pour eggs mixture over bread, cheese and veggies in pan. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees uncovered for 1 hour until golden brown and puffy.