French toast is one of those foods that takes me back to my childhood. My mom used to take me to the YMCA in Philadelphia and they taught us kids how to make french toast. So now here I am in Texas, still making french toast and still needing a step stool to reach cupboards. Enjoy!
Here’s a photo of me trying out a french toast recipe at home at our apartment in Upper Darby:
Ingredients (4-6 servings)
- 4 whole eggs
- 8 slices brioche bread (I love the one from Trader Joe’s!)
- 2/3 cup milk (I use 1%)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- butter for pan
- Whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, nutmeg and cinnamon together until mixed and place mixture in wide tupperware or glass dish.
- Dip brioche on one side and soak and flip over to coat both sides evenly. Let sit for 2-3 minutes to soak through but don’t flip multiple times otherwise it will fall apart.
- Meanwhile add butter to non-stick pan on low heat and coat the pan.
- Increase heat to medium low. Place 2-4 slices of coated bread into pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side until lightly golden browned.
- Serve with maple syrup, lemon blueberry sauce (see Lemon Blueberry Sauce Recipe), powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, etc.