I like walking through the grocery store and seeing a bounty of summer veggies to choose from. The mini tomatoes always seem to catch my husband’s eye and are a fun snack with cheese and crackers. I had some leftover orzo pasta in the pantry that needed to be used up so there’s my boring inspiration for a yummy summer salad. Enjoy!
Ingredients (4 servings)
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 pint mixed mini tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, small cubes
- 6-10 leaves of fresh basil (depending on size) – chiffonade
- 1 tsp / 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 c fresh grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil and garlic on low-medium heat until fragrant (2-3 min) and then keep pan warm on simmer setting.
- Cook orzo pasta per package directions, drain excess water and transfer pasta to pan with oil/garlic and stir to coat.
- Add tomatoes and stir to combine and leave on gentle heat (simmer) for 5-6 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve – remove from heat and add avocado, basil and cheese and gently stir to combine.