This is a really scrumptious protein-packed breakfast for two that my husband always looks forward to. The ooey gooey goodness of a runny yolk makes a rich sauce but it’s all good on its own also. It would probably taste even better with a tomato relish, but I haven’t found one I quite like yet.
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped uncooked sweet potato
- 1/2 cup black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cayenne
- 1.5 cup cooked quinoa (1/2 c dry quinoa)
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 eggs (cooked any way you like!)
Heat olive oil in pan and add onions and garlic. Cook until onion is slightly carmelized.
- Add sweet potato and cook until soft, approximately 5-7 min.
- Add cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper and black beans and cook about 5 minutes until black beans soften slightly. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add cooked quinoa and allow to toast slightly to give a slightly nutty flavor. Stir to combine.
- Add your cooked egg on top – we prefer over easy for a runny yolk to create a delicious sauce.
Looks like an awesome weekend brunch!
Dr. Hill absolutely loved this breakfast and you!